Earlier this year, the Detroit Institute of Arts (DIA) chose Troy as one of the 13 communities for the summer 2012 Inside|Out project, which brings high-quality reproductions of masterpieces from the DIA’s collection to the streets and parks of metro Detroit. The reproductions are on view through September 30.
Troy’s six reproductions are clustered within walking or bike-riding distance of each other throughout the Civic Center Complex and at the Troy Historic Village. To view an interactive map of the reproduction locations in Troy, visit the city's website. For a map of all 13 communities, visit the DIA’s website.
To help celebrate and promote the arts, the City of Troy is hosting the following programs centered on the City of Troy’s Inside|Out reproductions:
- Thursday, Aug. 23, 2 p.m.: Kids' painting at the Library. Inspired by the piece by painter Paul Gauguin right outside the TPL’s front door, young artists (ages 5+) will use paint to express themselves.
- Thursday, Aug. 23, 7 p.m.: Walking tour of the City of Troy Inside|Out paintings with a DIA Docent. Meet in the City Hall east parking lot and learn about the works of art from a DIA Docent while strolling around the Troy Civic Center site.
- Thursday, Aug. 30, 2 p.m.: Self portraits at the Library. Artists will use the mirrors and art supplies provided to produce self-portraits. A group visit outside to the Paul Gauguin self-portrait reproduction on loan as part of the DIA Inside|Out program will get your creative juices flowing. (ages 5+).
- Monday, Sept. 17:, 7-8:30 p.m.: “Treasures of the DIA" at the Library. Presented by Art History Lecturer Maureen Esther, this program will showcase the tremendous art collection at the DIA. Esther will also lecture about artist Vincent Van Gogh and his unique relationship with artist Paul Gauguin.
- Saturday, Sept. 22, 10:30 a.m.: Walking Tour of the City of Troy Inside|Out paintings with a DIA Docent. Meet us in the City Hall east parking lot and learn about the works of art from a DIA Docent while strolling around the Troy Civic Center site.
- Sunday, Sept. 23, 1:30 p.m.: Movie, Lust for Life, at Troy Library. Directed by Vincente Minnelli and starring actors Kirk Douglas and Anthony Quinn, Lust for Life tells the story of the tortured life of artist Vincent Van Gogh and his friend Paul Gauguin. Adapted from the best-selling novel by Irving Stone.
- Tuesday, Sept. 25, 7 p.m.: Adult Book Discussion Group, Troy Library. Led by Library Director Cathy Russ, the group will be discussing The Writings of a Savage – Paul Gauguin, Life of an Artist.
For more information, call 248-524-1147.
Source: City of Troy