MDOT Lessens Most Road Restrictions for July 4 Holiday Weekend
Restrictions will be raised on 89 of the state's 166 road projects.
Traveling this weekend and you want to know where the orange barrels will be over this Fourth of July holiday?
The Michigan Department of Transportation announced Tuesday freeing road restrictions on 89 out of 166 projects statewide, according to a news release. The rollback will run between 3 p.m. Friday through 6 a.m. Tuesday, July 5, the release said.
"While enjoying everything Michigan has to offer this holiday weekend, we want to remind motorists that work zones still require their undivided attention, even while projects are suspended," said State Transportation Director Kirk T. Steudle. "Temporary barriers, machinery and other construction equipment may be present and deserve the attention and focus of motorists at all times."
MDOT advises motorists to check the Mi Drive Web site at www.michigan.gov/drive for updates, specifically the "MDOT Halts Most Work for Holiday" notice for holiday travel information, the release said.
But not all projects can free up lanes. According to MDOT's release, the following is a list of the 77 work zones that will remain active, or have some lane restrictions, during the Fourth of July weekend:
- Easterday Avenue in Sault Ste. Marie, Chippewa County, overpass over I-75 will have one lane open controlled by a temporary traffic signal. I-75 will have one lane open in both directions.
- I-75 Business Spur in Sault Ste. Marie, Chippewa County, will remain closed between 10th Avenue and Easterday Avenue. Detour on city streets.
- M-28, Chippewa County, bridge over the Waiska River will have one lane open controlled by a temporary traffic signal.
- M-35 in Escanaba, Delta County, will have one northbound lane closed south of US-2/41 (Ludington Street), with one northbound and two southbound lanes open.
- U.S. 41 in Menominee, Menominee County, will be closed to through-traffic between M-35 and 48th Avenue. Detour on M-35 and 48th Avenue.
- U.S. 41, Menominee County, will have traffic shifts and a 10-foot width restriction from County Road G-12 to County Road 336.
- U.S. 41 north of L'Anse, Baraga County, will have a traffic shift with narrow lanes and no shoulder.
- U.S. 141 in Breitung Township, Dickinson County, the bridge linking Michigan and Wisconsin will remain closed. Detour on US-141, US-2 and US-8 through Norway.
- U.S. 141 south of Quinnesec, Dickinson County, the Breitung Cutoff/Lincoln Avenue intersection will be closed to through-traffic.
Northern Lower Peninsula
- M-68 in Onaway, Presque Isle County, will have a lane shift.
- U.S. 23, Cheboygan County, reduced to one lane controlled by a temporary signal at the culvert replacement project area between Cordwood Road and the east Presque Isle County line.
- U.S. 31, Manistee County, shoulder closures from Coates Highway to Maidens Road.
- U.S. 131 Business Route (Mitchell Street) in Cadillac, Wexford County, has one lane open in each direction from north of the Clam River through 13th Street.
- 36th Street in the city of Wyoming, Kent County, will be closed and detoured at US-131. The US-131 ramp to 36th Street and 36th Street ramp to southbound US-131 also are closed and detoured. US-131 will have two lanes open in each direction.
- Hall Street in Grand Rapids, Kent County, will be closed and detoured at US-131. Intermittent ramp closures will be in place with posted detours.
- I-196 in Grand Rapids, Kent County, will be shifted under Fuller Avenue with two lanes of traffic maintained in each direction. Fuller Avenue will have one lane open in each direction; a left-turn lane from northbound Fuller Avenue to westbound I-196 will be open. The Fuller Avenue ramp to eastbound I-196 and the westbound I-196 ramp to Fuller Avenue will remain closed.
- M-21 (Fulton Street) in Ada, Kent County, will have one lane open in each direction on the temporary bridge over the Grand River.
- M-66 in Ionia, Ionia County, will be reduced to only one northbound lane; southbound traffic will be detoured via M-21, Jackson Street, Adams Street, and Steele Street, back to M-66. No oversized vehicles are allowed on the detour; only vehicles 10-feet wide or smaller allowed on northbound M-66.
- M-121 (Chicago Drive) in Hudsonville, Ottawa County, will have one lane open in each direction between Main Street in Zeeland and 40th Avenue.
- U.S. 31, Oceana County, will be reduced to one lane open in each direction from Polk Road in Hart to the Monroe Road interchange into Pentwater; southbound traffic will be shifted to the northbound side. Northbound US-31 through-traffic will use the ramps at the Monroe Road interchange to exit and reenter the freeway.
- 142nd Avenue, Allegan County, bridge closed over US-131 with a posted detour. All US-131 lanes will be open with shoulder closures.
- J Drive South, Calhoun County, closed over I-69 with a posted detour. All lanes of I-69 open with a 10-foot width restriction.
- P Drive South, Calhoun County, down to only one lane over I-69. All lanes of I-69 open with a 10-foot width restriction.
- I-94 in Kalamazoo/Portage, Kalamazoo County, will have two lanes maintained in each direction at Westnedge Avenue. The following ramps are closed:
- Southbound Westnedge Avenue to eastbound I-94
- Southbound Westnedge Avenue to westbound I-94
- Northbound Westnedge Avenue to westbound I-94
- Westbound I-94 to southbound Westnedge Avenue
- Westbound I-94 to northbound Westnedge Avenue
- Eastbound I-94 to northbound Westnedge Avenue
- Southbound Portage Road to westbound I-94
- I-94 in Mattawan, Van Buren County, westbound ramp to Main Street will be closed.
- I-94, Calhoun County, shoulders closed at M-331 exit (Exit 104).
- 196 in Covert Township, Van Buren County, will have one lane open in each direction over County Road 380 (20th Avenue); 10-foot width restriction.
- I-196 in Riverside, Berrien County, will have one lane open in each direction over the Coloma Road and CSX Railroad at Mile Marker 4; 11-foot width restriction.
- M-99 in Albion, Calhoun County, bridge closed over Kalamazoo River with traffic detoured.
- U.S 12, Branch County, bridge over Prairie River closed. Westbound traffic closed at M-40; detoured north on M-40, west on M-60, then south on Calvin Center Road. Eastbound traffic will be maintained from the Valley Creek bridge to Birch Road. Two-way traffic is maintained between Birch Road and Sunset Boulevard; 10-foot width restriction, no overweight vehicles allowed, with a 30 mph speed limit.
- U.S. 12, Cass County, westbound lanes closed from Mason Street in Union to M-40 in Porter Township; detoured via Calvin Center Road, M-60 and M-40, with a 12-foot width restriction. Eastbound traffic will be maintained.
Central Michigan and Thumb
- I-69 in Flint, Genesee County, single-lane closures in effect in each direction between I-75 and I-475 for bridge work.
- I-75, Bay County, will have traffic shifted in each direction from Crane Road to M-84; all lanes will be open.
- I-75, Bay County, will have one-to-two lanes open in each direction from Linwood to Pinconning roads with traffic shifted and maintained using a moveable barrier wall.
- I-75, Genesee County, traffic shifted from I-69 to the Genesee/Saginaw county line for bridge work; all lanes will be open.
- I-675, Saginaw County, will be closed from Warren Avenue to the south junction with I-75 due to bridge and road reconstruction. Traffic detoured to I-75, M-81 and M-13, with local detours.
- I-675, Saginaw County, is closed at Veterans Memorial Parkway with traffic detoured. The Veterans Memorial Parkway bridge over I-675 is closed with traffic maintained on the southbound lanes. One lane remains open in each direction across the bridge.
- M-13, Saginaw County, will remain closed over the King Drain with a detour posted.
- M-21, Genesee County, will have one lane open in each direction over Mistequay Creek with traffic shifted to the northbound side of the bridge.
- M-25, Huron County, will remain closed over the White River with detours posted.
- M-47, Saginaw County, single-lane closures from Freeland to Shattuckville roads for pavement repairs.
- M-57, Gratiot County, will have one lane open over Bear Creek with traffic maintained using temporary traffic signals.
- M-84, Bay County, northbound lanes will remain closed from East Hotchkiss to Euclid roads with a detour posted; all southbound lanes will be open.
- Grand Ledge Rest Area off eastbound I-96, Clinton County, is closed.
- Kipp Road, Ingham County, is closed over US-127 with traffic detoured. Two lanes of US-127 will be open in each direction with a shoulder closure.
- Page Avenue south of Jackson, Jackson County, has one lane maintained in each direction over US-127. Two lanes of US-127 will be open in each direction with a shoulder closure.
- Spencer Road, Livingston County, has one lane maintained at U.S. 23 with a temporary signal. All lanes of U.S. 23 are open.
- I-69, Shiawassee County, will have one lane open in each direction between M-52 and M-13.
- I-94, Jackson County, has two lanes maintained in each direction between Sargent Road and the Jackson/Washtenaw county line with a traffic shift. - I-94 Business Loop (Michigan Avenue) in Jackson, Jackson County, has one lane maintained in each direction between Brown Street and Laurence Avenue.
- I-96 Business Loop (Grand River Avenue), Clinton County, has one lane open in each direction between Waverly Road and Airport Road.
- I-275, Monroe County, southbound ramp to northbound I-75 is closed with a detour posted.
- M-43 (Saginaw Highway), Eaton County, will have one lane open in each direction between Marketplace Boulevard, just west of the I-96 interchange, and Canal Road.
- M-43 (Saginaw Highway), Eaton and Ingham counties, will have two westbound lanes open between Canal Road and Mall Drive West, and between Waverly Road and Rosemary Avenue, with all eastbound traffic detoured.
- M-43 (Grand River Avenue) near Williamston, Ingham County, is closed at Dietz Road, just west of M-52. A detour is posted.
- M-50 near Charlotte, Eaton County, will be closed between Stewart Road and Flanders Road with a detour posted.
- M-52 near Perry, Shiawassee County, has one lane maintained over Vermillion Creek with a temporary signal.
- M-71, Shiawassee County, will be closed over I-69 with a detour posted.
- Old M-78 (Lansing Road), Shiawassee County, will have one eastbound lane open between Woodbury Road and Ruess Road, with westbound traffic detoured.
- M-100 (Wright Road) near Grand Ledge, Clinton County, is closed at I-96 with traffic detoured. I-96 will have two lanes open in each direction with a shoulder closure.
- U.S. 12 Business Route (Michigan Avenue) near Ypsilanti, Washtenaw County, will have one eastbound lane open and two westbound lanes open with a center-turn lane.
- U.S. 24 (Telegraph Road), Monroe County, has one lane open in each direction under I-275.
- U.S. 127, Ingham County, will have two northbound lanes open from Grand River Avenue to Lake Lansing Road with a shoulder closure.
- U.S. 223 east of Blissfield, Lenawee County, has one lane of traffic maintained using a temporary traffic signal at two separate locations near Riga Highway and Lipp Highway.
Metro Detroit Region
City of Detroit
- M-39 will have following restrictions in place:
- M-39 is closed in both directions between M-5 (Grand River Avenue) and M-10 (Lodge Freeway) for reconstruction. Traffic detoured via US-24 (Telegraph Road).
- M-39 is down to one lane in both directions between M-5 and M-153 (Ford Road) for ongoing construction.
- I-96 eastbound and westbound ramps to northbound M-39 are closed.
- Local roads closed over M-39 with detours posted include:
-- Puritan Avenue
-- Pembroke Avenue
-- Curtis Street
-- West Chicago Road
-- Seven Mile Road
-- Joy Road
- M-85 (Fort Street) is closed in both directions between Schaefer Road and Oakwood Boulevard for ongoing reconstruction. Traffic detoured via I-75.
- Crooks Road is reduced to a single lane in each direction over M-59.
- M-5 left lanes closed in each direction between Purdue Street and 8 Mile Road.
- M-59 project area will have the following restrictions in place:
- M-59 has two lanes open in each direction between Crooks and Opdyke roads.
- M-59/I-75 interchange ramps closed with posted detours include:
-- Eastbound M-59 exit ramp to northbound I-75
-- Westbound M-59 exit ramp to southbound I-75
-- Southbound I-75 exit ramp to westbound M-59
- U.S. 24 (Telegraph Road) has two northbound lanes closed from 12 Mile to Maple roads for construction. Multiple Michigan Left turn lanes are closed.
St. Clair County
- Allen Road is closed over I-69; detour posted.
- I-94/I-96 project area will have following restrictions in place:
- Water Street entrance ramp to eastbound I-94/I-69 is closed with a detour posted.
- I-94/I-69 eastbound exit to Water Street is closed with a detour posted.
- I-94/I-69 has two lanes open in each direction between the Black River Bridge and Lapeer Road with a traffic shift and reduced speeds posted.
- Riverside Drive is closed under I-94/I-69 and detoured.
- I-94 Business Loop is closed in both directions between Ravenswood and M-29 with a detour posted.
- I-94 left shoulders closed in each direction between 8 Mile and 11 Mile roads.
- I-696 project area will have following restrictions in place:
- I-696 has shoulder closures in both directions between Van Dyke Avenue and Hoover Road for ongoing bridge construction.
- The U-turn overpass east of Hoover Road over I-696 is closed. The I-696 service drive is reduced to one lane in each direction.
- Van Dyke Avenue is reduced to two northbound lanes and one southbound lane over I-696.
- M-3 (Gratiot Avenue) southbound bridge over the Clinton River is closed with a posted detour.
- Allen Road entrance ramp to southbound I-75 and the northbound I-75 exit ramp to Allen Road are both closed and detoured.