Real Detroit Calls Out Locals in 'Best Of' Issue - What Say You, Troy?
According to annual feature, Troy features the Metro area's best poker room, best mall, and more in 2013.
The "Best Of Detroit" is Real Detroit Weekly's annual listing of the Detroit area's best bars, restaurants and entertainment. The list is released each February.
"Best Of issue is a go-to guide, a collection, a historical reference for the things we’ve collectively excelled at and the advancements we’ve made as a community rich in food, ambiance, music, art and design," Real Detroit editors wrote.
Several chains with locations in Troy made the list. Here's a look at some of the best of Detroit that can be found in your backyard:
Best Poker Room: Big Beaver Tavern
- "You're likely to feel right at home while playing against a whole host of metro Detroiters who'd rather frequent their favorite local spot than spend an evening at the casino."
Best Mall: Somerset Collection
- "Beautiful, monumental, filled with the most handsome of material goods, this mall is what all malls aspire to be. With stores like Michael Kors, 7 for all Mankind, Louis Vuitton, Madewell, Henri Bendel, Tory Birch, Tappers, the Detroit Shoppe and so many, many more, there's nothing you can't find at Somerset."
Best Overall Salon: Bianchi's Salon
- "Aside from being stunningly chic, beautiful and modern in atmosphere, Bianchi's Salon will make you look nothing short of fabulous."
Best Car Dealers: Suburban Collection
- "Their professional staff will help put you into the new or used car of your dreams and their experienced service team will keep it running from routine maintenance to major repairs. Participators in many a charity event, the folks at the collective of Suburban dearlerships are also known for their generosity to those in need locally."
Best Thai: Sala Thai
- "With sushi on the menu as well as beer, wine, cocktails and sake, Sala Thai's three locations (Eastern Market, Sterling Heights and Somerset Collection) offer patrons a satiating and tasty experience."
Best Indian: Priya
- "From tandoor meats (a clay oven fired by charcoal and wood that imparts a smoky flavor into anything cooked inside) and homemade breads (including the signature Indian bread, naan) to spicy curry sauces and vegetarian rice dishes, Priya offers a whole new world of flavors to explore."
Best Japanese and Best Specialty Maki: Café Sushi
- "Café Sushi in Troy offers the full Japanese experience, from their miso soup and bento box lunches to their nabemono ("cooking pot") menu with table-side hot pots and stir fry."
Best Draft Beer Selection: Bailey's
- "What really makes a drinking establishment stand out is its beer selection and at Bailey's, the options for draft libations are second to none in southeastern Michigan."
Best Pan-Asian: Mon Jin Lau
- Fashionable food in a sexy atmosphere with ultra-haute weekly 'Shanghai Wednesdays' parties that remains one of metro Detroit's hottest events makes Mon Jin Lau a true jewel (true to its name – 'house of a thousand jewels').
Best Taco: El Charro
- "Somewhere between a soft and hard shell taco, El Charro's shells are simultaneously crunchy and chewy. Not only that, one taco is substantial."
Best Bar For Lunch: CJ Mahoney's
- "Not only can you pick from entrees, burgers, homemade soups, salads, pizzas, sandwiches and appetizers, but you can also grab a drink during your midday meal without breaking the bank."
Best Bang for your Buck: Big Boy
- "The Big Boy burger is legendary 'round these parts and its price is one of the reasons."
Best Delivery: Jimmy John's
- "They'll be at your front door ready for you to eat before you even finish updating your Facebook status to say that you're about to eat some Jimmy John's."
Best Fast Food: McDonald's
- "There's something about those two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese and onions on that sesame seed bun that just sings to us."
- "Jet's has made the "all corners" pizza famous."
Best Healthy Food Store: Whole Foods
- "Sellers of locally-grown produce as well as many organic goods, Whole Foods also keeps its customers on the up-and-up when it comes to what is and isn't acceptable to put into our bodies."
Best Sporting Goods Store: Dunham's
- "Having opened their flagship store in Waterford way, way back in 1937, Dunham's is the Midwest's largest sporting good store and thanks to your votes, they're also known as the best in Detroit."
Best Gym Chain: Life Time Fitness
- "You can literally do anything – running, cycling, tennis, basketball, mixed combat arts, swimming and even rock-climbing at select locations. If you want a serious workout, this is the place to go."
Best Bank: Chase
- "Whether you're applying for a car loan or managing your account online, Chase offers so many products and services that it's no wonder why our readers love Chase."
What's your favorite? Share it in the comments. Check out Patch readers' favorites around Troy in our Readers Choice section.