Troy Police Inform Woman of Common Check Scam
Troy woman had used Craigslist to advertise a home for rent.
The following information was obtained from the Troy Police Department on Friday. Where arrests or charges are mentioned, it does not indicate a conviction. Note: In Michigan, the blood alcohol content legal limit is .08 percent.
Credit, Check, Identity Theft, Other Fraud
- A bank manager at Charter One (125 Stephenson Hwy., Troy) alerted Troy Police to an attempted scam of a customer through Craigslist on Thursday. The woman told police that she had listed a home for rent and received an email from someone stating that they were interested in renting the home. However, when she asked the renter for a check for $760 to reserve the room, she received a check for $2,450. The renter then asked her to cash the check and mail the difference, which, police told her, is a common scam.
- A resident on the 3000 block of Victoria filed a report after she said that she placed a shipping box containing three iPhones in her mailbox for pick-up by the postal service at 8:30 a.m. on Dec. 7 of last year. She told police that the phones were never received as intended by Verizon Wireless and the phones are presumed stolen.
- Police responded to Aco Hardware (2965 E. Big Beaver Rd., Troy) where it was reported on Thursday at 5:07 p.m. that 25 pallets, worth $225, were stolen from the back of the store.
Minors and Alcohol
- Following a routine traffic stop at Interstate-75 and Adams Road at 2:31 Friday morning, Troy Police issued a citation to a passenger in the car, a 19-year-old Oxford woman, for Minor Possessing or Consuming Alcohol.
Driving Under Influence of Alcohol/Drugs
- A 31-year-old Birmingham woman was arrested early Thursday morning and faces a charge of operating while intoxicated after failing sobriety tests at West Maple Road and Thunderbird. Troy Police said they saw her car repeatedly weaving from the right lane to the left, then pulled her over and noted her "bloodshot and glassy eyes." The woman later breath tested at .11 percent, according to the report.
- A 40-year-old Southfield man was arrested early Thursday morning on a charge of operating while intoxicated after failing sobriety tests at East Maple Road and Livernois Road. Troy Police said that they saw his car weaving and crossing over lane markers, then pulled him over and noted his "very glassy eyes." The man later breath tested at .16 percent, the report noted.
Larcenies From Autos
- A GPS unit and radio were reported stolen and a 2012 Jeep broken into through the smashed backseat passenger window at Embassy Suites (850 Tower Dr.) overnight between Feb. 19-20.
- A sales manager at Suburban Chrysler (1790 Maplelawn Dr., Troy) filed a report that all four tires and rims were stolen from a 2012 Chrysler 300 overnight between Feb. 18-19. The car was left up on blocks, according to police.
Call Troy Police at 248-524-3447 if you have any information about these incidents. For questions about this report, email local editor Tim Rath at email@example.com.