The USA Melting Pot club will hold its eighth meeting at the Troy Public Library Monday, December 17, 2012, from 7-9 p.m.
Dr. Vicente Sanchez, Consul of Mexico in Detroit, will speak on Mexico’s culture, food, geography, tourism among other topics.
Come learn about Mexico (our neighbor to the south) and its friendly people.
The new USA Melting Pot club is unique in building and crossing bridges between ethnic groups, which already have their own individual clubs. In the past, we’ve had meetings on Chinese culture and bicycle touring, India’s culture and canoeing, Korean culture and camping, German culture, Brazilian culture and held a potluck picnic at the Troy Historic Village.
- To help newcomers assimilate into the USA and mingle with all ethnic groups
- To celebrate ethnic background & cultural identity, including American culture
- To provide a forum for conversational English
- To encourage face to face dialogue in our increasingly technology-dependent world
Please pass the word
Attached is a meeting notice. Please print copies and post them on bulletin boards at work, church, grocery stores etc. You can also help us out by emailing links to this article to friends who may be interested in México or our club.
We wanted to finish the year with meetings about our next door neighbors, Canada and Mexico. Below is information about last month’s meeting.
November Meeting on Canada
The USA Melting Pot club held its seventh meeting at the Troy Public Library Thursday, November 15, 2012 from 7-9 p.m. Canadian citizen Rick Vriesen spoke on Canada’s geography, history, culture, food, and sports.
Attendees learned about Canada (world’s second largest land area) and its people:
- Which sport has the highest participation rate: (hockey is #2 and curling is #11)
- Where French is spoken and how Canadian English differs from American English
- How to spell colour and centre correctly J and what hydro means
- What to see if you visit Canada – the world next door
For more information, visit our club website for posts of the Germany, India and other past presentations. Check back often as new information and more past presentations are added.
Contact: Weilou Gao at weilou@USAmeltingpot.org or 248-978-7904